I have been playing around with my system quit a lot and have crashed it several times. Few basic software installations needed after installing ubuntu 14.04. Just a reference list to set your work environment quickly. (I know it is only for very few ‘amigos’. Just a reference list for me in short..)
1) Install VLC (keep the music in background and continue with the rest \m/)
2) Install chrome
Go to official site of chrome -> Downloads -> For Personal Computers -> [Download] For Linux (Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/openSUSE) -> [check it if you have ubuntu distribution] 64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu) -> Accept and Install
3) Install Peda
git clone https://github.com/longld/peda.git ~/peda echo "source ~/peda/peda.py" >> ~/.gdbinit
4) Install libc6-dev-i38
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install libc6-dev-i386
5) Install ns2, version 2.34
Follow the steps in the following link and you will be done.
5) Install WireShark
You can simply use the software center to install it.
6) Install ghex
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install ghex
7) Install ubuntu restricted packages for many others functionality for instance, flash-plugin. Please note it might not be legal in many countries (kindly keep a check).
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
You can again use software center to install it.
Search for “latex” in the search bar. Click on “Texmaker”. Click on “Install”.
Later you might need to install other packages according to the type of document you will be creating in Latex. Anyways google is just a click away in that case.
9) Install your favourite text editor. Let’s install sublime:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:webupd8team/sublime-text-3
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install -y sublime-text-installer
10) Install gufw firewall. Though ubuntu does not need antivirus. It is nice to keep some firewall and protect your system from attacks.
sudo apt-get install gufw
I will add more to the list as and how needed. For now these will do.